Veggie burger with mushroom gravy, mashed cabbage and swede served with a celery and cranberry salad

I'm still sharing our recipes and meals on Patrick's blog. Patrick started this blog when he met me because he got so tired of being asked what vegetarians eat. And since we try to eat low carb vegetarian food, he decided to start a blog to share our meals.

Vegetarian food gets a bad rap mainly because restaurant and supermarket versions are so uninspiring and downright boring. Whenever I see another celebrity chef trot out a vegetarian meal I roll my eyes. They think they have re-invented the wheel and are so ahead of the curve by showcasing another pasta, risotto or salad. Yawn!

Kudos to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall who actually went vegetarian for a few months rather than turning out a token vegetarian meal. Read more here - here. And if you wonder what vegans eat scroll through - this blog - for yummy pictures of animal free food.

This week I am showing one of our evening meals I made a while back -
Veggie burger with mushroom gravy, mashed cabbage and swede served with a celery and cranberry salad

Serves 2

Ingredients:-

2 Quorn/Frys or any vegetarian burger
1 punnet mushrooms finely chopped
1 small onion finely chopped
1 T olive oil
1 T soy sauce diced
1 large swede
1/4 green cabbage finely chopped
3 sticks of celery
1 handful of dried cranberries
real mayonnaise
Wensleydale or Feta cheese

Method:-

1. Saute the onion in a little oil until cooked.
2. Add the mushrooms and the soy sauce and allow to cook well.
3. Place the swede and the cabbage in another pot and bring to the boil for about 15 to 20 mins or until cooked.
4. Meanwhile chop the celery, add mayonnaise, crumbed cheese and cranberries to the chopped celery.
5. Grill or fry the vegetarian burgers.
6. Remove the swede and cabbage from heat and pour off the boiling water.
7. Mash the cabbage swede mixture. You can add a knob of butter, salt and pepper to taste.
8. Place the burgers on a plate and top with the mushroom mixture. Add the mash and then the celery and cranberry salad. Serve.

Notes: -

I hardly use any oil when I saute onions. I mix oil and  water in a pan and sort of boil/fry. The water evaporates as the onions wilt and the little oil left caramelises the onions.

I also often use fat free cream cheese in a vegetable mash in lieu of cream or butter. It gives a yummy creamy taste. I don't only ever mash potatoes.

I will mash anything that has a similar texture when boiled. Sometimes, I add a can of beans or chickpeas to a mash to boost the protein and fibre content. They also add a nutty flavour.

And to pack a serious flavour punch I will add black pepper, dried herbs or Parmesan cheese to my veggie and bean mashes.

The - recipe page - gets updated regularly with low carb, low GI meat free recipes and meals.

Labels: , , , , ,