This is one of our combined effort cooking sessions using standard British ingredients such as peas, baked beans, asparagus, parsnips and cheddar cheese.
|Asparagus and pea stir fry with parsnip mash and veggie burgers|
Baked beans and a stir fry don't sound like a great combo, but that's what happens when Patrick makes one half of the meal and I make the other. The veggie burger and beans were my attempt to add some protein.
I have a thing about having protein with every meal and using up left-overs. Hence the interesting combo.
1 large white onion
3 cloves garlic finely chopped
1/2 t fresh ginger finely chopped
1 punnet fresh asparagus
1 cup frozen peas
soy sauce to taste
dash of sherry or desert wine
4 - 5 parsnips
1 tub fat free cream cheese
approx 1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
2 vegetarian burgers
2 T baked beans or any other beans
2 slices mature cheddar cheese
1. Trim the parsnips and bring to boil in a pot for around 20 mins.
2. Slice the onion and heat up a splash of oil in a large wok or frying pan.
3. Add the onions to the hot wok and stir fry.
4. Next add the garlic, ginger and asparagus to the wok and allow to cook.
5. Add soy sauce and sherry and then add the frozen peas. Watch the stir the veggies in the wok so they don't burn.
6. Reduce the heat and allow the stir fry to keep warm.
7. Pop the veggie burgers under the grill.
8. Pour away the water from the pot when the parsnips are cooked.
9. Add the cream cheese and the Parmesan cheese and mash well.
10. Turn the veggie burgers over and put a spoon on beans on the top of each burger.
11. Cover the beans with a slice of cheddar cheese and put back under the grill.
12. When the cheese has melted, serve the burgers with the mash and stir fry.
Patrick likes to mix the soy sauce and sherry together before he adds it to the stir fry.
Have a look at the - recipe page - to find low carb, low GI vegetarian foods to inspire you.
Labels: Asparagus and pea stir fry with parsnip mash and veggie burgers, low carb, protein for vegetarians, recipes, vegetarian