|Raw (and healthy) Moch Tort|
We are really getting into this raw concept, and just loving it.
Karen recently bought "Raw Food detox" by Anya Ladra, and having friends for dinner the other evening was just the excuse to try out her Mocha Tort with cacao almond pastry.
It was absolutely delicious, and all our guests raved about it.
Here is the recipe as per the book:
For the crust:
300 grms almonds
4 soft, pitted dates
2 Tablespoons raw cacao powder
1 - 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
Pinch of salt
For the filling:
300 grms cashew nuts
140 grms coconut oil
200 ml fresh espresso coffee
75 grms raw cacao powder (plus a bit extra to dust)
125 ml pure maple syrup
1 tspn pure vanilla extract
Use a deep, 23 cm tart pan
Soak the almonds in cold water for 6 hours or overnight.
Drain the almonds, and put in food processor with the rest of the crust ingredients.
Blitz to a smooth and thick paste.
Transfer to the tart pan and push the mixture evenly over the bottom and sides to make a neat shell.
Refrigerate for 30 mimutes.
Put all the filling ingredients into a food processor.
Blitz until smooth then pour into the shell.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Dust with the extra cacao powder.
Notes and comments:
1. My spring form baking tin was a bit larger (25cm) so I used 1 and 1/2 times the above amounts. Even so I still did not have enough of the crust to go up the sides of the tin. So I would suggest using a slightly smaller tin.
2. The crust or shell mixture is thick and gooey and hard to blend. The next time I will run the almonds through our blender first to coarsely chop them.
3. I used vanilla essence.
4. I also melted the coconut oil before making the filling.
5. For a slight variation, next time I will leave the cacao powder out from the crust, and use some dessiccated coconut instead.
6. As noted in her recipe, espresso coffee is not strictly raw.
This recipe book has loads of other lovely recipes I am longing to try.
You can get Anya Ladra's book - Raw Food detox from Amazon:
Labels: almonds, blog, cashews, coconut oil, coffee, healthy, maple syrup, mocha tort, raw, recipes, vegan, vegetarian